Diet; why meaningful right way out of dieting into bodybuilding? The main problem with diet? Leave them. People often lose weight quickly but then gain weight too. Find out how to maintain the success achieved? Almost ninety percent of people on various diet plans experience weight gain after stopping the diet. Nearly all such nutritional plans are valid, even if the diet has proven successful. Today we will talk about how to stop dieting in bodybuilding according to the recommendations of Lyle MacDonald.
Principles of maintenance diet when the diet is abandoned
MacDonald discusses the need to switch to a calorie maintenance diet after stopping the main diet. He calls it a “diet break.” We will discuss MacDonald’s nutritional program in a separate article. Still, today we will focus only on supportive nutrition.
This suggestion looks quite justified, as it is rather difficult to restore the secretion of thyroid hormones in other ways and to get out of the state of ketosis.
It is essential to perform “diet breaks” with a specific frequency, depending on the people’s categories. According to MacDonald, they are only three.
So, depending on the categories, “meal breaks” should be done with the following cycle:
- Representatives of the first category – every 11 or 12 days;
- For category 2 – after 2-6 weeks;
- Class 3 representatives – every 6-12 weeks.
It should be done even if you have not yet managed to lose the required amount of fat, and this point is not up for debate. The duration of maintenance calorie intake is unchanged for all categories and is 14 days.
Switching to maintenance calories after dieting
There are two possibilities for the development of events. You can jump into a diet quickly, but increase your calories for a day or two after the reset. You can also do this gradually and improve the calorie content of your diet for seven days.
For example, you can start by adding one whole egg to a protein omelet, then two, etc. In addition to lean meats, you add more fatty foods to your diet, replace vegetables in one meal, add grains, etc. Therefore, you must reach the calorie content, which MacDonald called maintenance.
How do you determine a calorie maintenance diet?
On average, a person needs 25 to 36 calories per kilogram of body weight. Since metabolism slows down by about ten percent during the diet, you need to consume fewer calories during the meal break than usual.
The calorie content of the maintenance diet is also strongly influenced by lifestyle:
- At zero activity, you need to consume 22 to 24 calories per kilogram of body weight;
- With a sedentary lifestyle (light aerobic exercise or frequent walking), you should consume from 24 to 26 calories per kilogram of body weight;
- With moderate activity (cardio and no more than two strength training sessions per week), it is necessary to consume 26 to 28 calories per kilogram of body weight;
- With high activity (from 2 to 3 strength exercises per week), it is necessary to consume from 29 to 33 calories per kilogram of body weight;
- With very high activity (more than 4 sessions per week), you need to consume from 34 to 43 calories per kilogram of body weight.
Girls should stick to the minimum values in the specified ranges, and men – the maximum. It is because metabolic processes in the female body are slower.
How do you determine the required amount of protein compounds?
Must take protein supplements in optimal amounts. It primarily depends on your sporting activity. If you don’t go to the gym and lead a sedentary lifestyle, use 1.6 grams of the nutrient per kilogram of dry body weight—those people who use only aerobic training need to consume 2.2 grams of protein compounds. You need more protein, 3.3 grams, if you use active strength training.
How do you determine the required amount of carbohydrates?
During the meal break, you should consume at least 100 grams of carbohydrates daily. Suppose you do not follow at least this minimum rate. In that case, you will not be able to exit the state of ketosis entirely. You will not fully restore—the secretion of thyroid hormones.
In addition, must add the following amounts of nutrients to the minimum amount of carbohydrates:
- With little movement – dry weight (CM) x 0.5;
- With moderate movement – CM x 1;
- With high movement – CM x 1.25;
- With very high movement – CM x 1.5.
How do you determine the necessary fat?
With fat, everything is much easier. After you have determined the calorie content of the maintenance diet you need, as well as the number of carbohydrates and protein compounds, the amount of fat is calculated using the formula: fat = (calorie intake – 4 * (calorie content of protein + calorie content of carbohydrates)) / 9.
It must say that after all these calculations, the results obtained are not final. You need to monitor your body weight. With its increase, must reduce the calorie content of the maintenance food. With its decrease, it must be increased.
Is it possible to maintain mass without counting calories when you go off the diet?
Everyone understands that not many people will cope with all these calculations. MacDonald is also aware of this.
Based on his experience, he has formulated several principles to help you maintain weight without using a calculator:
- Eat as often as possible, at least six times a day.
- Products containing protein mixtures should not be greasy;
- Healthy fats should be present at every meal. At a regular dinner, their amount should be from 10 to 14 grams, and with a snack – from 5 to 7 grams.
- Eat more plant fiber.
- Eat slowly.
- Avoid large amounts of refined carbohydrates such as pasta or white rice.
- Go for sports.